Saturday, April 12, 2008

Odd

I was at work at the library the other day, and part of my job is to take this annoyingly loud trolley piled with paper and coin boxes around to a few photocopiers on campus, to fill the paper and get the money out of them or whatever. It was during an exam period, so there was no one in the hallway, and I was just rolling my trolley along, on my way back to the library, minding my own business. I look ahead of me and suddenly I think I see a person on the floor. I get a bit closer, and I see that yes, there is, in fact, a person lying on their stomach on the floor at the end of the hallway. For some reason I kind of look around, but there's no one around. I'm thinking this is weird. Is this person dead? Anyway, so i get closer, and I see it's a girl, and i get a bit closer again, and I start to think I recognize this girl. She's another library worker, but we're never on the same shift and I've only met her once. She's got her arm kind of out in front of her with her head on it, the other arm's bent. Her bag's behind her. I was like, this is so weird lol. Anyway, so the elevator entrance is maybe 20 feet from her. I'm like, I should do something. She hears my trolley, so she opens her eyes, and, for some reason, I wave at her! lol. Just a little wave. Don't ask me why. And she lifts her arm and slowly waves back. Looks like she was sleeping or something. But she doesn't say, help me! or I'm dying! or something, so I just smile back at her. And then i get in the elevator and leave! I probably should've been like, are you ok? But I didn't want her to think I thought she was weird, by lying on the floor... so I suppose a wave is rather less judgmental? Even though it definitely is weird, ..and unsanitary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From one library employee to another, I say, umm...there is no appropriate action for such a situation. :P That's more awkward than having to wake a bum sleeping on your seats cause it's closing time. Maybe she's narcoleptic?