Friday, May 30, 2008

Gym-phobia

I’m on one of those fitness phases. Where I somehow find this strong initiative to exercise. I don’t know where this motivation came from, but I’m going to go with it as long as it lasts. I love it. It’s like riding a wave.

I used to be an active person. When I was little I played every sport out there, but I guess most kids did (most middle class, suburban, first world kids, anyway). Through Jr. High I was on the basketball team (not because I’m that great; just because I’m tall. I was active, that’s why I stuck with it). In high school I was on the running team (my height could no longer make up for my lack of aggression on the basketball court). First and second year at university I went to the gym now and then. I’d only gone maybe five times total during high school. I have this thing with gyms where they intimidate me, and it’s seriously become an impediment to a healthy, active lifestyle, and to the body I’d love to have one day. It’s not really the gyms themselves that intimidate me… it’s kind of complex.



I guess it’s partially rooted in my prejudicially negative attitude toward macho, athletic, straight guys. Read homophobic. I'm presuming they'd be homophobic, I know… it’s an issue I have, but I’ve had few positive experiences with guys like that. I’m trying to work on this, I don’t like prejudice, but anyway, that’s part of the issue. Doesn’t help that a lot of them are hot, either.

Also, since I don’t go to the gym, and never have in a really consistent way, I feel really inexperienced when I go. I don’t know what a lot of the machines do really, or how to use some of them correctly. Plus I’m really skinny, so I know that my appearance would automatically give away that I don’t work out and don’t know what I’m doing. I could even live with the fact that I couldn’t lift that much weight at first, if only I was confident with the equipment, or a routine or something. Which machines to use, how often, for how long, how many reps.. .etc. I figure I need to buy a book, or do some research online, or find a friend who goes to the gym (I don’t have any close ones – well, I had one but he’s away for the summer).

Plus at heart I’m lazy. But that doesn’t fit with my current fit of athleticism lol. The one thing that I’ve been consistently good at since I was little was running. I’ve been running off and on my whole life. So when I want to be active, when I really, really, want to be active, and it doesn’t involve a gym, I go running. For me this requires good weather, and it’s only just gotten nice here. Canada is cold. So for the past few weeks I’ve been running. All over the neighbourhood, and it feels awesome. Of course, my ideal body would be more muscular than my current one, and running isn’t going to bulk me up any, but it is fun, and I can do it, and it’s good for me, so I do it. I’ve also started to do crunches and push ups and things like that, which don’t require a gym either.






I realize, of course, that I need to just get over this whole gym-phobia. I need to just go, and maybe even get a trainer for a few times, to get me started on a routine. A grocery store nearby has a nutritionist you can talk to for free, so maybe I’ll go chat to them about the best food to eat for bulking up.

I can’t see me starting this right away though… partially because of all the reasons I’ve just mentioned, but also ‘cause I’ll be going away for July to French camp (“Explore”: http://www.jexplore.ca/english/index.html), then getting my wisdom teeth out (ugh), and then going to France in September. So is this just a big excuse to not go to the gym? Probably yes lol. I’m sure I’d go if I had a group to go with. But I don’t.

Anyway, time to eat. Chicken and salad I think I’ll have. Later.

5 comments:

Volker said...

Does it really matter whether you go to the gym??? A lot of physical activities don
t necessarily involve the gym at all. Do what you like and what makes you happy! - Volker

Volker said...

Oh, I plan to add your link to my blog. Check out Saltwater Blood Meets Spirit Mountain when you have a chance! - Volker

Anonymous said...

Ey, stick with it man. I know what you mean, on all counts. Is it homophobic? Or heterophobic? Hmm...now my brain hurts.

I have all the same issues when I go, only I'm a pretty big guy, so I guess I probably hide it a little better (at least I LOOK like I could lift alot).

But, you should def do some research. It's worth it to know what to do, then you can just go in there and work out.

dit said...

Oh, I have always been envious of runners or those who enjoy running. I wish I were a better runner.

As far as a gym. Just go, ask questions. Everyone is good at something and this is what they are good at. Try not to be intimidated.

You have a great blog. Keep t up.

Doghigh said...

I've been going to the gym since I was 18 and love it - it actually is a secure zone for me. Having said that I do remember feeling intimidated by equipment and people at the gym...even occasionally now it still happens. But mostly I find that watching other people work out is a great way to learn what to do and how to do it.